3.13.2013

Today I found...

 photo Marchfinds129_zpsd401cedc.jpg

I got to buy some items from a theatre company today and there wasn't much in the way of vintage clothing, but I did find these treasures.  

Most exciting was this carpet bag. I've wanted one for years but the Victorian ones are rare and usually very expensive. I'll name her "Jane" after Jane Marple. 

 photo Marchfinds159_zps54d7fad8.jpg

Quality cotton Victorian costume, I couldn't pass it up, but need somewhere to wear it. Reminds me so much of Lark Rise to Candleford

 photo Marchfinds162_zps518060f0.jpg

1940s uniform, I think it's nurses, but could possibly be waitress? Probably nurse. It buttons and snaps up the front, and look at that Peter Pan collar! Will need some cleaning but it's just darling. 

 photo Marchfinds154_zpsf6591efb.jpg

48 star American flag. I passed it up, but kept thinking about it after leaving so we went back for it! It's beautifully thin and faded, and I'll be patching up a few more places this week. But it's huge! Will make a great wall hanging. 

 photo Marchfinds156_zpsda9811fb.jpg

Last but not least a little 1940s dress for my nine year old cousin Pearl. She loved it, so after I mend it a bit I'm sure she'll rock it. 

************************************

  Matchstick Jeans-J.Crew 

 Shoes-A gift from Jodi

29 comments:

art deco dame said...

The carpet bag is to die for!

Mackenzie said...

I loooove that flag!! My boyfriend has a flag wall hanging that's totally fake vintage, but I'm so excited for you and your real one!!

Mackenzie
www.heybirdfriend.com

Rachel said...

I love the carpet bag and the flag! I really like how those old flags look hung as a piece of art.

Courtney said...

I'm in love with that uniform! Let me know when you list it, I need!

xoxo
www.prettylittlefawn.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

That carpet bag is all kinds of amazing. i bet your cats love it to, that thing would be like a dream bed for my kitties.

Helen Le Caplain said...

That Lark Rise to Candleford dress is gorgeous - what a great find.

I'm sure you oculd fit a helluva lot of stuff in that lovely carpet bag too!

www.mancunianvintage.com

Witchcrafted Life said...

Such tremendously lovely finds one and all. That carpet bag and uniform (which, I think, could possibly also have been worn by a beautician) are my very favourite pieces.

♥ Jessica

Helen Mae said...

Some really lovely things there, particularly the dress for your cousin.

Sarah Jane said...

Lucky you getting to rummage among such treasures. 'Jane' is absolutely exquisite! x

helloellaxo said...

Wow that bag is amazing!

helloellaxo.com

xx

Ma Cherie D said...

Love it! Bag is so wonderful.

LandGirl1980 said...

GAH! THAT BAG!!!!!!! It is only right that it be called Jane. Top find!

Shybiker said...

Lovely selections. I adore old things.

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

That carpet bag is fantastic! I loved Lark Rise to Candleford, and that dress would have fit right in.

Dani said...

AMAZING bag. I love old carpet bags.
Actually have one for sale now at www.shopdisowned.com that I'm in love with.

<3 dani
http://disownedclothing.blogspot.com

My Eclectic Loft said...

Wonderful finds it must be a fab shop.

LaLa Love said...

This is a gorgeous dress!!! definitely a wonderful vintage find!!!! :)

Sarah Dee said...

You're such a boss at finding stuff! That bag is insane!

x missdottidee.blogspot.com

Malina said...

I´m sure, Jane would be amused. ;)

Miss Maple said...

I'm so smitten with the carpet bag!

Kristian said...

What a fabulous opportunity!

Unknown said...

I love the 1st dress! So lovely:)

http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

Faith said...

That flag is unusual. Most 48 star flags the stars are all in an even square.

Mark said...

Your flag is probably older than you think. It looks like a 45-star flag (3 row of 8 stars and three rows of 7 stars). A 48-star flag has 6 rows of 8 stars and a squarish pattern. Thus, your flag was made sometime between 1896 (Utah was the 45th state) and 1908, when Oklahoma was admitted.

Mark said...

Ignore my last comment! After counting the stars more carefully I realized that some of the rows I thought had 7 actually had eight. It turns out that some 48 star flags had offsetting rows of 8 stars each. This flag could be as old as 1912 to 1920 per this website. http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/us-1912.html

Emanuela said...

beautiful bag!!! it's a Mary Poppins's bag!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

That bag is absolutely divine
http://charmkindredspirit.blogspot.com/

oklyous said...

what good finds:)

Wildfell Hall said...

ah Larkrise. an old fave!